Baillieu to say sorry for forced adoptions
13th August 2012
Updated 13th August 2012
The Victorian government will say sorry to families torn apart by forced adoptions.
A Senate committee inquiry earlier this year found forced adoptions were widespread in Australia during the 1950s to the 1970s.
It is estimated up to 250,000 babies were taken from their mostly young and single mothers during that period.
Premier Ted Baillieu said today that the government would formally apologise to the women, children and families affected by past adoption practices.
It was important to acknowledge the pain felt by mothers whose children were forcibly removed at birth and the part past government policies played in condoning those practices, he said.
"We now understand and acknowledge the deep grief that many mothers experienced after the loss of a child to adoption, and the lack of support offered to help manage their grief," Mr Baillieu said in a statement.
"What was done was wrong, and it is our sincere hope that this apology will be an important part of the healing process for the relinquishing mothers and their children who may continue to experience feelings of grief, pain, anger and loss."
The apology will be made in state parliament on October 25.