Claims meeting over state ward abuse
Sunday Herald Sun
27th May 2012
Updated 28th May 2012
THE State Government has agreed to meet lawyers representing more than 30 former state wards who suffered abuse in an attempt to resolve compensation claims.
Thirty-three men launched legal proceedings against the Government last year claiming it breached its duty of care by ignoring decades of widespread physical, emotional and sexual abuse while they were wards at the former Box Hill and Bayswater boys' homes.
Both homes were run by the Salvation Army, which has paid out more than $1.5 million in compensation to childhood victims of sexual and physical abuse while in its care.
Angela Sdrinis, of Ryan Carlisle Thomas lawyers in Dandenong, said her clients were each seeking up to $50,000 in damages from the Government.
A statement from Department of Human Services said the department was unable to comment while legal proceedings were continuing.